While smile designing or smile makeover, we take into consideration your facial appearance, skin tone, hair color, teeth (color, width, length, shape and tooth display), gum tissue and lips to develop your ideal smile. Smile designing are performed for many reasons and customized according to your unique considerations.
We work closely with you to develop a treatment plan designed to achieve exactly what you want from your makeover. This treatment plan may consist of many cosmetic and functionally restorative procedures, potentially including teeth whitening, composite bonding, veneers, dental crowns, orthodontics (braces), oral maxillofacial surgery and gummy smile reduction as the need may be.
Some aspects of your smile that we will review with you and that are improved with a smile makeover include the following:
- Tooth Color: Silver or amalgam dental fillings are replaced with natural, tooth-colored composite restorations, while teeth are whitened to improve the color of stained or dulled teeth. Tooth color and shading are important considerations during the evaluation of and preparation for various procedures, including porcelain veneers, crowns, bridges, composite bonding and dental implants.
When considering the color of your teeth, keep in mind that dark or discolored teeth may suggest an aged mouth. A well-shaped smile comprised of bright, white teeth lends to a youthful appearance. The shade we select for teeth whitening and veneers is carefully evaluated with special consideration given to the tone and color of your face and hair. We find the right balance between providing you with a brighter, whiter smile and maintaining a natural tooth color.
- Tooth Length: Long teeth lend a youthful appearance. Aging produces wear and tear that often results in shorter teeth, and a gummy smile also can make teeth appear shorter. A smile makeover treatment for shorter teeth may include reshaping and lengthening the two front central teeth with composite bonding or porcelain veneers. If you have a gummy smile, we will provide treatment to modify the gum line and lengthen the appearance of the teeth using laser/scalpel dentistry procedures. You may also be considered for crown lengthening if necessary. Teeth lengthening may also impact your overall facial appearance. For example, shapely, long, square teeth on a round-faced individual can provide a slimming effect.
- Tooth Proportions: We examine your teeth to determine if they are in correct proportion with each other. Most people recognize a pleasing smile as one in which the two central front teeth are dominant and have a width-to-length ratio of 4-to-5. This proportion guides the length and width of other teeth in the esthetic zone so that the smile line appears balanced.
- Tooth Texture and Characterization: We are adept at blending functionality and esthetics. We characterize your crowns or veneers to create a more feminine or a more masculine appearance, in addition to matching the look and feel of natural teeth or those you've seen in photographs of models.
- Alignment and Spacing: Teeth that are crooked, overlapping or have gaps between them are straightened and aligned when necessary through orthodontics and improved with veneers.
- Missing Teeth: One or more missing teeth can negatively affect the appearance of your smile – as well as affect your bite and increase your risk for tooth decay – making replacement an integral part of oral health and facial esthetics. Missing teeth are replaced by dental implants, bridges or partial dentures.
- Harmony and Balance: Uneven, chipped and cracked teeth are cosmetically bonded for an improved appearance, and a gummy smile is re-contoured to help improve the overall look of your smile.
- Smile Line: The smile line is an imaginary line that follows the edges of your upper teeth from side to side, which ideally should be the same as the curve of your lower lip when you smile. This standard point of reference for smile makeovers is used to help determine how long your new teeth should be.
- Fuller Lips, Smile and Cheeks: An unshapely or aging face is improved or rejuvenated with certain procedures in the smile designing category.